Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mastering Mind: Coffee Catch-up

IMG_0794

That beautiful girl standing beside me in this incredibly dated (November 2008) picture is one of my bridesmaids.  Liss and I met in our first year of grad school and have seen each other through several life-altering situations.  Liss has been a supporter of my relationship with the Pilot from day one and I could literally hear her smiling through the phone when I told her we were engaged.  Those, among many others, are the reasons why I asked her to be part of the bridal party.

Liss is currently living in California with her fiancé, Benny-Boo, while he completes his PsyD internship (thank you Argosy University for bring us all together).  However, this week she is in town for some wedding planning and internship interviewing of her own and we were able to carve out a 90 minute chat at Starbucks yesterday.

Conversations with Liss yesterday, some serious and some silly, were a great way for me to master mind this week.  Creativity crept in when talking about wedding colors or strategic budget ideas.  Active listening skills were activated when talking about the stress included in wedding planning and our memory was engaged when we started to recall what we were like 4.5 years ago when we first met and how much we’ve changed.

I encourage everyone to call a friend and practice the mindful art of listening.  Then challenge that friend to do the same for you (I know you’ll want to talk as well).

No comments: